Naturopathic Medicine believes in the healing power innate to every living being. A naturopathic doctor (ND) uses a variety of modalities to assist this healing force in the restoration of wellness. Licensed NDs are educated to draw upon the wisdom of traditional healing methods as well as the research and discoveries of modern medicine. Six fundamental principles are applied in naturopathic assessment and strategy and are as important to naturopathic philosophy as the modalities employed.
- Primum non nocere = First, do no harm: NDs use remedies with few or no side effects for the purpose of non-suppressive intervention outlined in an individualized plan.
- Vis medicatrix naturae = Trust in the healing power of nature: Modalities are used to promote this innate force or remove obstacles to self-healing.
- Tolle causam = Treat the root cause of disease or imbalance: Symptoms are our body’s messages and attempts at self-healing. Symptom suppression can never heal; only nature can heal when obstacles are removed.
- Docere = Doctor as teacher: NDs strive to educate and create healing partnerships with each client in order to further understanding of body function and true wellness.
- Tolle totum = Treat the whole person: Each individual is a combination of physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, hereditary, cultural, sexual and environmental facets. All must be addressed to promote total health.
- Praevenire = Prevention: Most diseases, especially the so-called “Western diseases”, are preventable. With education, counseling and commitment we can save money, misery and years.